Sunday, May 9, 2010

Salted Taste Yam Glutinous Ball


When I am small I have been eating the salted taste glutinous ball which made by my grandma, the taste is little bit odd to me and I don’t like it much. It may cause by the soup for the rice ball due to it’s just a normal soup we usually consume, it’s just too much ingredients in the soup & taste too strong for it. Probably it may also I’m still small and I’m more prefer the sweet taste and it make me don’t know how to enjoy the salted one. Recently from the TV shows & some recipe, I just know that salted glutinous ball is one of the traditional foods for the Hakka race, that’s not because of my grandma create it by herself because she more prefer salted taste food. Just wonder that my grandma is not the hakka race how come she just made it as our traditional food during some occasion. That’s one time I have cooked the yam soup and it leave so much yam from the soup. I feel that is so wastage if I just throw it away. After that I think that there is sweet potatoes glutinous ball, so I may just do the yam glutinous ball. As the result, it taste not bad, and I have made some correction at here to make it taste better.

Ingredients:
½ Yam                                           
1 bowl glutinous rice flour                                        
1 bowl Sauropus                       
½ Chinese Cabbage                                  
1 Carrot                                                                         
3 oz
Ikan Bilis (Dried Little Fish)                          
1½ oz
Dried Shrimp                            

Soup:
3 Whole Chicken Bone                         
300g Spare Ribs                          
2 liters Water                            
Salt to taste                              

Method
1.       Clean all the Ingredients for the soup and cook for 2 hours. Add in the carrot to cook for 15 minutes and then continue with the Chinese cabbage for about 5 minutes
2.       Shave off the peel of the yam, cut into small piece. Steam until it done and then smash it. Put in the glutinous rice flour and little bit of salt to mix it until the dough is not sticky. 
3.       Make the dough into small ball and put it into hot water to cook it (the rice ball is done if its float on the water). Steep the cooked glutinous ball in some soup which havent add in the salt, until the soup cover all the glutinous ball.
4.       Fried the ikan billis and the dried shrimp until it crispy and blend it into powder.
5.       Add in the Sauropus and some salt to the soup then put it to the bowl which has already put in the mixed blended powder and last just add in the glutinous ball.

Note:
1.       Sauropus is the name that I found in the internet. The vegetable I used is mani chai which called in local and usually we are eat with the pan mee which sell in Malaysia. Money
2.        Do not put all the Sauropus into the soup, just put in the amount that you want to eat, if not the colour of the Sauropus will change after steep to long in the soup. The soup also just take out some to make hot, if not the soup will become salty after add in the salt and keep boiling. 
3.       For those don’t like the ikan bilis or the dried shrimp can take it out from the recipe and add in the fried onion, garlic oil or others Ingredients that you like.
4.       Glutinous ball need to steep in the soup to avoid it stick all together, and used the soup that haven’t add in the salt is to avoid the glutinous ball taste too salty after dipping in the soup for long time.
5.       For those prefer sweet can use the sweet potatoes to replace the yam and the sugar water to replace the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment